My Love for The Society for Creative Anachronism

My Love for The Society for Creative Anachronism

Go visit:

The rotating images at the top of the page say, “Welcome to the Current Middle Ages, What do you do on the weekends? Honor Courage, Chivalry.”

Let me break these three things down in the context of my nearly half century in this “club.”

Welcome to the Current Middle Ages

I was introduced to this organization in 1977-ish, at the ripe old age of 15. I was a D&D nerd, science fiction & fantasy bookworm nerd, history nerd, and a socially awkward adolescent spastic nerd. When I met these people, I didn’t fit in with them any better than I did with anyone else, but these folks at least shared my interests. I hung around on the periphery, and joined in where and when they could stand to be around a hyper-active, c’mon-guys-let-me-play-too teenager who wished the club had more Tolkien elves and dwarves.

Did I feel welcome? In my own narrow view of life at that age, not really. But, I loved what these folks were doing and wanted to do it too.

What I didn’t notice at the time was that they went out of their way to make sure I knew where and when their meetings, gathers, and events were. They really went out of their way to help me learn how to make and do things— like lightsaber fighting, I mean sword fighting. I wasn’t part of their friends groupings, and I definitely wasn’t one of the “in crowd,” but I was welcome to be with them, and encouraged to come back.

Honor, Courage, Chivalry


These are big ideals— really big.

The basic, stated mission of this organization is to study, re-create, share, and re-live a real/romanticized period in history in a social setting among like-minded people.

Sounds simple enough, but that barely scratches the surface of what really goes on. We learn, practice, and share many things at a high level. Our scholars and artisans often work at museum quality to the point where they get invited to study, work, and speak all over the world at institutions of advanced learning, and to learned audiences. Our combatants have advanced the organized study and practice of medieval bohurt combat to the point that we are internationally considered a sparring martial art.

In the context of all of the studying, making, and doing, what we do most bestest is practice those high ideals mentioned above. Learning about, and practicing those romanticized ideals in the context of this organization changed my life— probably even saved my life.

What I have learned in the SCA has absolutely carried over into my everyday, mundane, life. This club has made my life rich, and 'good.'

What do you do on the weekends?


First of all it's not just weekends-- for me it's daily. That's not just because I'm an officer, it's because this organization is an inseparable part of my life, and I love it that way.

I entered education 30-ish years ago because of my experiences sharing what I was learning and doing. Turns out I love working with kids.

I met my spouse because she was part of this organization, and we've been together for 33-ish years now.

My friends group is made up mostly of people currently, or at one time, in this group.

During the week I have communiques to respond to, and logistical meetings about the group's functioning. I make, and repair gear. I scheme and plan for the future.

Then, the weekend comes and I get to be a gorammed Knight, a Baron, a Walker of the Way, ....

Most often I put on my period clothing. Grab my armor and other gear, and head off to an event somewhere. At the event I may fight, take a class, teach a class, participate in a meeting, watch a period ceremony, see my friends receive honors and accolades, and so much more. It can vary widely from weekend to weekend.

The most common factor is being with my friends. We get together, socialize, laugh, and generally enjoy each other's companionship. This is the best part-- no question about it at all.

How About Some More?


I love this group of people.

That's pretty much it-- my life.

And like any social group of people, we sometimes have our difficulties getting along.  Trying to convey complex ideas and emotions on a keyboard often doesn't us help much.

Sometimes, a good friend does/says something we don't like, and we struggle with how to react to that.  As a bunch of nerds in high school, many of us missed out on important socialization practice during our formative years.

At my wizened stage of life..., ahem..., I try to take turbulent times in stride.  Despite my displeasure, I remind myself that the actions of others are rarely meant in malice.  That people are doing the best they can for each other, and for the group.  That their intentions are rooted in honor, courage, and chivalry (see above).

We learn from all of the things that happen to us, and try to be better every day.

I LOVE THIS GROUP OF WEIRD, SOCIALLY AWKWARD PEOPLE.

Comments

Popular Posts